This week’s podcast is a bit different from all the others RV Daily Report has produced. Greg Gerber, who founded the publication in 2009 and will take over again in 2019, does the show by himself without a guest.
He explains his history in the RV industry, starting from when he assumed the mantel of RV Trade Digest in January 2000 through his decision to sell the publication in July 2017.
Gerber offers a frank and candid assessment of what happened in 2016 and 2017 that led to his decision to sell the publication, and what transpired since then that lead to the opportunity to buy it back.
Then he explains his plan to shift the focus of RV Daily Report from a publication that focused heavily on reporting about the activities of the business side of the RV industry into a hybrid publication that will still cover the industry, but also target information of interest to RV users.
With half a million new RV owners coming into the market every year, Gerber outlines his desire to offer training and education to consumers about the companies involved in the industry, as well as the products that can enhance the RV lifestyle.
He compares the RV industry to a five-leg stool supporting RV dealers, manufacturers, suppliers, campgrounds and RV owners. Take one leg away and the entire stool fails, he explained.
Gerber outlines his plan to develop a new website and several new newsletters. However, the biggest changes will come in the publication’s scope of coverage as he intends to focus on the people behind the companies and brands.
He will also enhance the coverage with a focus on IMPROVE:
- Inspections – What to look for when taking in an RV on trade or evaluating an RV for purchase.
- Maintenance – How to fix 80 percent of the common problems RV owners face in order to alleviate pressure on RV service departments so they can zero in on the complex repair problems.
- Products – Introducing consumers and the industry to new products being released, but also educating people about the myriad of proven, reliable products that people enjoy just because they work so well.
- Reporting – Relaying press releases and covering the news through original reporting, but also adding a Letters to the Editor section so that anyone with a constructive idea or solution to a problem can share their thoughts with the industry.
- Opportunities – Presenting opportunities for industry professionals and consumers to get the training they need, as well as opportunities to expand business while showing people how to support themselves while living the RV dream.
- Ventures – Showcasing places to go in an RV, what to do on their journeys and where to stay. RV Daily Report will also highlight the adventures of full-time RVers – everyone’s dream – and explain how to plan and remember their journey.
- Experts – Gerber outlines plans to give consultants, influencers and industry experts a platform to share their knowledge with professionals and people enjoying the RV lifestyle.
For more information about the new and improved RV Daily Report, be sure to visit www.rvdailyreport.com on Jan. 7 when the publication returns following a two-week break.