WASHINGTON — Fort Selden was established in 1865 to protect settlers and travelers in the Mesilla Valley from attacks by outlaws and Native Americans who considered the area their territory. Besides attending to their daily duties at the fort, soldiers provided escort services, responded to calls for help, and acted as relays to improve communications in the area. The fort was abandoned in 1891 when a decision was made to expand Fort Bliss which was closer to El Paso.
The fort was built of adobe. When it closed the timber beams and other materials were salvaged and, with this small amount of protection gone, the walls have melted away. All that remains are short stubs.
Read the full story from Rolling in a RV.