Listen to this story
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — KZ Recreational Vehicles today announced the debut of the Sonic X RV, a prototype that serves as a self-sustainable lightweight travel trailer.
The Sonic X will be on display in the KZ RV display at Booth 2700L at the RVX event this week in Salt Lake City.
The Sonic X RV has been chosen to be part of an exclusive Judges Choice showcase, highlighting the best of the best RV’s that have been carefully selected by a panel of industry leaders, the release explained.
“We are committed to protecting the environment so we set out to develop a concept that reflected one of our core brand missions,” said Aram Koltookian, president of KZ RV.
“When developing the Sonic X, we wanted to build the ultimate, self-sustainable RV that is both durable on the outside and features a modern interior for today’s lifestyle,” he added.
“The design is made to be mindful of the environment by using lightweight materials and clean, renewable energy sources to operate the RV. I am pleased that five of the seven units KZ is bringing won Judges Choice in four different categories,” said Koltookian.
“We are thrilled with how this prototype turned out and are incredibly excited to see how Sonic X will be received by our dealers and retail customers” said Bob Martin, CEO of Thor Industries.
“As the global RV leader, Thor has a responsibility to push the industry forward and this concept from KZ is a perfect example of the value we put on inventive projects to fulfill that duty,” he added.
The Sonic X RV employs technology to create an environmentally-friendly trailer. Powered by clean energy, the RV is the a 26-foot trailer to use solar power. The trailer’s roof-mounted solar panels produce 1,000 watts of power, which can be stored on the unit’s nine Lithium-ion batteries.
Additionally, the Sonic X utilizes a secondary infinite water system that includes a heavy-duty water pump, 25-foot hose and water filtration, which can be connected to fresh water sources such as a stream, river or lake and can store up to 100 gallons of water.
The trailer is also equipped with deep-tinted frameless windows to provide an ultraviolet barrier, Chroma coated roller shades to reduce heat penetration through the windows, interior and exterior LED lighting, two power fans that will move 900 cubic feet of air per minute, and two 20-pound LP tanks with auto-changeover.
The Sonic X RV has a carbon fiber body, which is lightweight, but offers durability. To build the frame of the trailer. KZ used a process called huck bolting, which is five times stronger than welding, further reinforcing the trailer’s durability, the release explained.
Details of the Sonic X exterior include:
- Torsion axles with 30-inch off-road tires
- Rock Buster skid plate
- LevelMate Pro leveling system with four high speed power stabilizer jacks
- Aluminum Step Above System
- Lighted power tongue jack
- Triple tube bumper and 360 degree nerf bars adds protection from damage on or off-road
- Kayak rack (Designed for the Sonic X RV)
- Integrated bike rack can carry up to four bikes
- 30-amp detachable marine-grade power cord with light
- Exterior entertainment center with HDTV, Bluetooth sound bar and PlayStation 4 gaming system
- Back-up camera
- Four roof-mounted high definition LED light bars
- Large pass-thru storage with slam latch door and magnetic catches and full LED light strip
The interior features of the Sonic X show the potential for new RV platforms:
- Euro-designed ultra-soft furniture package with midnight accents
- Custom butcher block dining table
- Ten-second Murphy bed system (sofa by day and bed by night) allowing for 22% more living room area
- Gas/electric 7-cubic-foot refrigerator
- Dual power fan with built-in rain sensor
- Safe “T”ek hidden USB and 110-volt charging station
- STOR-MOR night stands with USB and 110-volt outlets
- Large hidden storage area
- HDTV with Bluetooth DVD player
- Concealed wall safe
SOURCE: KZ press release