Details emerge from Hymer receivership

Listen to this story

TORONTO — “In court this afternoon in Toronto, about half an hour ago, the company was placed into receivership, which is a form of insolvency,” an executive with Erwin Hymer Group North America told employees today, a video made by an impacted employee revealed.

“The effect of that is a court order essentially terminates everyone’s employment effective today,” the executive explained, as reported by CTV News.

In the video seen by CTV News, the man says that wages would be paid through Friday and that they hoped that vacation pay would be paid out within two weeks. He said that the company would idle for six weeks while it tried to find a buyer.

The full story is available at CTV News.

Greg Gerber

Greg Gerber

A journalist who has covered the recreation vehicle industry since January 2000, Greg Gerber founded RV Daily Report on April Fool's Day in 2009. He also serves as the editor of the publication and website. As an Eagle Scout, he has enjoyed camping for decades and has visited every state except Hawaii. A DODO -- Dad of Daughters Only -- to three young women, he has two grandchildren as well. He currently splits his time between Wisconsin, Texas and Arizona. Greg can be reached at editor@rvdailyreport.com.

• Steve says:

As a employee for 17 years it is a very sad day for all my co workers and all the roadtek owners who loved are vehicles. All I can say to the 800 plus co workers all the best.

• AmericanGreed says:

I hope the Greedy Bastards at the top spend many years behind bars… Such a shame to see a great company, great name, great employees all collapse because of their actions and theft.

• StressLess Camping says:

I’m with you, AmericanGreed. It’s unfortunate the 800 team members who worked to make this company great and produce really stand-out products were as screwed by the executives as were the people who bought the RVs they produce.

• Francis says:

Facts can be found at the Alvarez Marasal Canada insolvency site under Erwin Hymer. Sworn affadavits refer to a long history of financial irregularities being uncovered

• Steve says:

Thank you Francis. The court document gives an indication on the status for Jim Hammill and list him as a Director and President. It appears he is the only Director left at the company.

• Done with the big RV companies says:

I visited the Roadtrek facility in Kitchener about 2.5 years ago. Just prior I had a horrible experience with Winnebago and one of their Class B’s but I knew I still wanted a Class B. I thought that Roadtrek, back then viewed by many as the highest quality manufacturer of Class B’s, would be my answer. The facility tour, correspondence with Roadtrek employees before and after the tour, all left me skeptical. After my negative experience with Winnebago I knew to ask the folks at Roadtrek some very specific questions. However they could not provide satisfactory answers to the questions that mattered most. I decided not to buy a Roadtrek. It turned out to be a good decision because around that time I started to see dissatisfied Roadtrek owners appearing on blogs and they were revealing their negative Roadtrek experiences in detail. Their experiences were very similar to my experiences with Winnebago. So much for perceived higher quality. I truly believe that all or many of these brands, and their dealers, simply cannot deliver on what they are selling. Add on this recent news about Roadtrek/Hymer and it’s true that I and many other potential Class B buyers all dodged a bullet.
    About two years ago I found what I wanted with a small shop that converted a Sprinter cargo van into a simple hassle free Class B. I do believe the traditional RV business is very much in a death spiral with all facets of it unraveling before our very eyes. The Roadtrek/Hymer story is not the last one.

• Steve says:

To cast doubt on the entire industry because of one company’s actions is inappropriate. What Hymer NA is going through here is truly an anomaly and disastrous for those impacted by it. Seems dramatic, or even irresponsible, to take this extreme situation and suggest the rest of the industry is the same!!

• MoralCompass says:

Steve, I’m a prospective buyer of an RV. After my lengthy research of brands/manufacturers,
        endless accounts from buyers who’ve taken out the equivalent of a home mortgage to finance the purchase for their RV only to end up with a shoddy, slapped together, undependable, failing systems, loose or missing parts. Dealerships that win’t provide timely service. I’m in agreement with Done With Big RV Companies. I’ll figure out another way to attain my leisure vehicle. Even a tent looks better.
        If you’ve followed Greg Gerbers RV Daily Report he’s been covering and voicing the decline of the industry over the past two years. The fitting description of “inappropriate, dramatic and irresponsible” applies not to the poster but aptly to Hymer/Roadtrek. Add unconscionable, and unethical. My heart goes out to the 800+ families who built that company. This is another Enron.

• Prosser RV Inc says:

I agree with Steve, it is not the industrie’s fault that Hymer has failed. I passed on the opportunity to take on Hymer as a new product for us and decided to stay with Coachmen instead. Yes – I have been burned on several other failed manufacture’s so I figure that I just lucked out on not taking on Hymer. For the money, Coachmen builds the best Class-B currently available AND it continues to innovate and incorporate the new technology when it becomes commercially available. Mike – Prosser RV

• Former employee says:

I am a former employee of Erwin Hymer North America. I can honestly say I have never worked with so many people who cared about the product we were making. I truly believed we were making life long memories for the people purchasing our product. In the past few years it became more about the numbers than it did about the quality and it truly hurt the employees as we did care. We were a family. Im still in disbelief that Jim would of done the things people say. He cared about us, at least it seemed that way. We had a gentleman who worked on the floor who had cancer and couldn’t work. Jim took care of him out of pocket as we didn’t have long term disability and he changed the plan for all the employees so that if one of us ever came down with a serious illness would be taken care of. Now this is a floor worker and a CEO. When this man was told he would only have a few months to live Jim gave him the chance to fly a jet, a life long dream. In the end I will remember these things. I’ll remember pulling together to make sure units got out. I will truly miss working here and producing lif long memories because in the end that’s all we have.

• Get Daily News Delivered