ABC8 News: Customers losing faith with Camping World

Listen to this story

ASHLAND, Va. — Delays, damage, poor customer service and faulty repairs are just some of the complaints 8News has been fielding about McGeorge’s Rolling Hills RV Camping World in Ashland, ABC8 News reported.

8News has found dozens of complaints warning of poor service. The State Attorney General’s office told 8News they’ve recently received nine complaints about the Ashland shop, most of the complaints about alleged faulty goods or repairs.

So what does McGeorge’s RV Camping World have to say about all these complaints? Camping World declined to do an interview with 8News but we spoke at length with executives. They admit they’ve got issues and they told 8News it’s not just with the Ashland shop.

The Better Business Bureau reports more than 800 complaints nationwide about Camping World in the past three years.

To read the full story or watch the video report, visit www.wric.com.

Greg Gerber

Greg Gerber

A journalist who has covered the recreation vehicle industry since January 2000, Greg Gerber founded RV Daily Report on April Fool's Day in 2009. He also serves as the editor of the publication and website. As an Eagle Scout, he has enjoyed camping for decades and has visited every state except Hawaii. A DODO -- Dad of Daughters Only -- to three young women, he has two grandchildren as well. He currently splits his time between Wisconsin, Texas and Arizona. Greg can be reached at editor@rvdailyreport.com.

• Bill Timme says:

100,000 RVs sold a year and 60,000 repair orders a month for 150 stores and just 800 complaints? Seems pretty good to me. Don’t know 1 RV dealer who would not take those percentages.

• Tom Moeller says:

I have to agree with you.Those are very good numbers.

• Steve M says:

Thats 800 complaints at Better Business Bureau. Of all the crappy things that have happened to me, I’ve never called them. Have you? 800 complaints does not begin to cover the actual amount of unhappy customers or cases of poor business practices at Camping World.

• Rick Goertz says:

That totally ignores the fact that most dissatisfied customers just never return and tell all of their camping friends about their bad experiences. Not just complain to the BBB.

• Richard Charron says:

Not going to jump on the beat-up Camping World wagon. While some may think these percentages are ok, my only comment would be that while I understand their staffing problems there is no excuse for this chain of dealerships nor any dealership for that matter not communicating with the customer. I hear these same complaints for small family owned stores. The industry as a whole needs a good shake-up.

• Norm says:

It is bull sh.. they do not care! They will charge the most they can. They will not admit to any damage they have caused, the problem is let’s see how we can screw the customer, remember there will be more customers, so we can screw each one and there will be more! Assterds!

• Rodney Coelho says:

I just bought a used Mercedes Sprinter Van RV made by Winnebago. I am afraid to take it to Camping World or to the Mercedes dealer for servicing due to all of the stories I have heard. So where do I go?

• MRRVTV says:

People it’s a house on wheels, in a constant earthquake while in motion. Look in any service shop and over 80% of them that are in there for service are new or late models. I have seen items running and then stop running. I have seen trim put on just to fall off again. I have seen leaks fixed demonstrated to not leak and then leak. It’s not a car. EVERY service department gets complaints. Who’s happy about fixing their RV? If you bring me 1,000 RVs in a course of a year, one could find a minimum of 3 items wrong, broke, or messed up with it on all 1,000 units. What every RV Owner needs is a sense of humor and a tool box. Then they will have more pleasant camping trips!

• Get Daily News Delivered