There is nothing that builds faith better than a systematic daily Bible study

Listen to this story

Trigger warning:  If you are offended by faith-based articles, please stop reading this and enjoy one of the hundreds of other stories we posted this week.

By Greg Gerber

“Follow me.” The Bible records that invitation being extended by Jesus to several people, most of whom were just ordinary, common individuals.

They were not powerful people. In fact, most were people caught in habits and behaviors that were destroying their lives. They were sinners, the very people with whom some Christians would hesitate to even talk to.

The people Jesus invited were not schooled in religion. In fact, few people would have considered them to be educated or even wise by worldly standards.

Yet, they accepted the offer and followed Jesus.

In doing so, they became wise. They engaged him in his teaching, and witnessed first-hand some of Jesus’ awe-inspiring miracles recorded in the Bible.

More importantly, they developed trust and confidence in Jesus that enabled them to enjoy a close, personal relationship with him.

In extending an invitation to follow him, Jesus did not say, “follow people who think they are following me.”

There is only one way to really know for sure if we are following Jesus, and that is by reading the Bible ourselves.

“For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.” — Hebrews 4:12-13

We might think we are doing the right things and that our faith is strong, but then when we encounter a Bible passage that convicts us a lot more of our stinkin’ thinkin’ needs to be challenged and corrected.

Bible in a Year

On Thursday, which marked the 34th anniversary of the date I was born again spiritually, I completed an online reading plan called Bible in a Year. It is offered free by YouVersion and is available for Apple and Android devices. You can also access it via any web browser.

The plan is a roadmap to read the Bible from cover to cover in 365 days.

Most days, it involves reading two chapters out of the Old Testament, one chapter out the New Testament along with a Psalm and a few verses from Proverbs.

It takes about 15 to 20 minutes a day to get through that day’s assignment, and I really appreciate how it incorporates different parts of the Bible.

Many new Christians who choose to embark on the task of reading the entire Bible often start in Genesis 1:1 and work their way through Revelation 22:21. However, they often get bogged down in Leviticus or Numbers, and never advance beyond that claiming it is too difficult to understand.

But, the YouVersion app’s approach is different. By combining the old with the new, it’s possible to see the connection between God’s promise and his plan for salvation that was set before the earth was formed.

I found there to be a remarkable difference in tone between the Old Testament, when God’s prophets proclaimed his message, and the New Testament when Jesus walked on earth and after he sent his Holy Spirit to guide his followers.

Adding snippets each day from Proverbs, which is like listening in on a conversation between a father and son as they walk down the street, and the ancient poetry of Psalms, is a breath of fresh air from what can be dry and dull reading in parts of the Old Testament.

There are three other benefits from reading the Bible cover to cover.

First, you can understand the context in which the Bible was written by 44 different authors on three continents during a span that some claim to be as much as 3,400 years.

By seeing all the pieces of the puzzle, it is possible for someone to spot false doctrine because whatever was said doesn’t measure up to what was written. Having that understanding also helps identify whatever is true because what was said measures up to what was written.

Second, a systematic daily study of the Bible really helps clarify who God is regarding all his character traits. Everyone jumps on God’s love, grace and patience, but he is also the God of justice and the infinite source of wisdom. God has dozens of attributes, and they are all spelled out in different chapters of the Bible.

I remember reading all the stories of the Israelites who witnessed some remarkable miracles, only to turn away from God to worship false idols and pretty much do their own thing. As I was remarking aloud what short memories they had, the Holy Spirit reminded me how often I act in the same way.

Third, reading the Bible certainly clarifies who Jesus is. It shows the multitude of prophesies foreshadowing his arrival, then shows how those prophecies were fulfilled.

Reading the New Testament puts Jesus’ life and mission in perspective and explains why people who encounter him – even today – report incredible life changes.

Since the Easter season is upon us, if you have not yet engaged in a systematic daily study of the Bible, this week is the ideal time to start.

It will be time well spent. I can’t wait to start over again to see what catches my eye in the year ahead.

Besides, now that I have made one full pass of the Bible, I don’t have to worry about bumping into the Old Testament author Nahum along the streets of heaven and dancing around after he asks me what I thought of his book.

Greg Gerber

Greg Gerber

A journalist who has covered the recreation vehicle industry since January 2000, Greg Gerber founded RV Daily Report on April Fool's Day in 2009. He also serves as the editor of the publication and website. As an Eagle Scout, he has enjoyed camping for decades and has visited every state except Hawaii. A DODO -- Dad of Daughters Only -- to three young women, he has two grandchildren as well. He currently splits his time between Wisconsin, Texas and Arizona. Greg can be reached at editor@rvdailyreport.com.

• Robert Henderson says:

There is no greater source of Wisdom than the Scriptures. Solomon received 800 tons of gold for consulting fees and that wisdom is timeless.
    Thank you for sharing!
    The You Version is a free Bible Ap with plenty of topical studies regarding Leadership, finances and family.

• Greg Gerber says:

Thanks Robert. I like the story of Solomon because it shows despite how wise a person may be, they can still make some pretty stupid decisions. If you have a suggestion for a new study on YouVersion, send it to me at editor@rvdailyreport.com.

Greg Gerber
      Editor, RV Daily Report

• Richard says:

Sorry Greg, this is not an appropriate place to post articles about your faith. Unlike RV news, faith is a personal matter and I (and I’m certain many others) find its inclusion dismaying. Please stick to RV news, but perhaps start a separate website and email newsletter to satisfy your religious beliefs.

• jon says:

Greg put in a disclaimer that if you didn’t like faith based articles to skip this. A lot of camping enthusiast are also Christians, and appreciate the info contained in this article. He did not endorse any particular belief in here either.

• Mike says:

I agree with Richard. Faith-based articles belong somewhere else. I totally respect the individual beliefs of the author and others but mixing these types of articles with the stated goal of the blog can be offensive, especially if one is not of the same faith or doesn’t believe in it at all. I subscribed to learn about RV’s, nothing more.

• Greg Gerber says:

I understand your concern, Mike, but we are in a world of hurt — and I am in an impossible position — if something anyone writes that is contrary to other person’s opinion or worldview can be considered “offensive.” I understand all you want from RV Daily Report is RV-related information. But, we also cover marketing, sales, demographics, small business problems, etc., that really don’t have anything to do with RVS. Even some of the information I write about RVs is guaranteed to offend some companies in the RV industry. Should I avoid writing it to protect the fragile egos of people who might be offended? This still appears to be the best solution — if someone doesn’t like the topic, don’t read the story. If someone disagrees with the author, then weigh in with a solid argument against whatever was written. Its the free dialogue of ideas that keeps us all growing.

GREG GERBER
          Editor, RV Daily Report

• Greg Gerber says:

Thanks Jon. With this article, I was promoting a book. I explained why I liked it and what reading it did for me. I hope others who may never have read it or wondered whether they should pick it up found some benefit to the post.

GREG GERBER
        Editor, RV Daily Report

• Bob says:

A person is made up of mind, body, and soul. All need nourished but if you do desire to not do so Greg has made you aware at the beginning of the post.
      By making these posts Greg is becoming more vulnerable as people look at his life and how it aligns with his Biblical teachings. Greg, I support you.

• Greg Gerber says:

That’s absolutely correct, Bob. If my words and actions don’t align with my professed faith, I hope you would call me out on that. Thanks for your support!

GREG GERBER
        Editor, RV Daily Report

• Greg Gerber says:

Thanks for the feedback, Richard. But my faith is an integral part of who I am and it is not something I can simply turn on or turn off. If you knew the Greg Gerber of 30 years ago, you’d have a better understanding of where I am coming from. As I tell people every week, I will continue to publish ONE faith-based story a week in addition to 150 to 200 RV-related stories. Why? Because many people are in the same boat today that I was in back in 1994. Yet, like me, they never would never consider going to a church or even taking time to learn what genuine faith is about. If I can encourage someone the way I was encouraged many years ago, perhaps someone will find strength to continue another day.

GREG GERBER
      Editor, RV Daily Report

• Gary Polson says:

Greg, Thank you for sharing your faith with your readers. These are refreshing and I just hope you keep up the good work. Thank you and may God continue to bless you.

• David says:

Greg, I look forward to your posts…..continue to share the gospel as the Lord leads. God will bless you and hopefully anyone who takes the time to read.

• Neal says:

Greg, Enjoyed the faith based article. More to life than just RV’s. Just like in any news media if they don’t want to read it they can skip over it. How hard is that? Some people will complain about anything. God bless

• MoralCompass says:

Greg I too was happy to see this post and the trigger warning for those taking issue to avoid content. I’ve been considering a daily bible study for awhile so the timing and sharing are greatly appreciated. Looking forward to this endeavor. Thank you & please continue to share faith baded resources you deem of value.

• Tim says:

Greg the Lord said the path was narrow and only a few will join him in heaven. You are living your faith as you have been called to do. There will always be resistance just as there has been since original sin was introduced by Adam and Eve. Jesus and his disciples were chased through the streets of Jerusalem when challenged about what He was teaching. It didn’t stop Jesus. You are doing what all Christians are called to do wherever we are. You have an audience…… some are listening and some will resist. History repeats itself.

• Get Daily News Delivered