OLYMPIA, Wash. — Dannielle Price saw her and her children’s belongings go up in smoke early Friday morning after an engine fire started in the RV where she and about six others had been sleeping at a metered parking space on Jefferson Street off of Fifth Avenue downtown, near the artesian well.
Price, 33, said she, her four children and several other friends who had been staying with her in the RV had returned to Olympia on Thursday after spending Thanksgiving in Wenatchee.
She said her computer, ID cards, including bank cards, her phone and nearly all of her and her children’s’ belongings were ruined. Everyone managed to escape the burnt-out RV safely, including their 8-month-old black Labrador retriever, Beast, and their pet rat, Tomorrow, she said. But the fire ruined the family’s only home, leaving Price, her children and the rest of the RV’s occupants scrambling for a place to stay.
Olympia Fire Department Battalion Chief J.D. Young said firefighters first tried to hook up Price with the local American Red Cross chapter, but because the family was staying in an RV, they did not qualify for temporary Red Cross assistance.
The children said that the RV’s engine was on early Friday morning, about 8:50 a.m., when the engine started smoking. The fire then spread quickly, leaving no part of the vehicle untouched.
To read the complete story in The Olympian, click here.