Friday, February 16, 2018
Breaking News
Home » RV Owner News » Boy’s death caused by improperly grounded camper

Boy’s death caused by improperly grounded camper

(July 21, 2014) -- The accidental electrocution last month of a 3-year-old Illinois boy was caused by current from an improperly grounded family camper in Illinois.

DIXON, Ill. — Landyn Gerald Keener, a 3-year-old from Amboy, died June 30 when he touched a door handle of the camper while standing on wet ground, WISC explained.

WISC reported it’s a problem known among RVers as “hot skin.”

Lee County Sheriff John Varga calls it a tragic accident and told WISC nobody was at fault.

Electrical engineer Mike Sokol explained to WISC he’s started a website to educate RV owners about electrical safety. He recommends buying a noncontact voltage tester at a hardware store to test for problems. He also recommends using only electrical outlets for RVs that were installed by a professional.

To read the full story by WISC, click here.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

About Rebecca Smith

Rebecca Smith is a Wisconsin native currently living in Illinois with her husband, Eric, and two dogs, Maggie and Grace. She enjoys hiking, biking, kayaking and, of course, camping in cabins and park models.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


RV Daily Report welcomes comments from readers. However, we expect that comments will be cordial and professional without reverting to name-calling, profanity and libelous language. Comments of that nature will be removed.