SHERIDAN, Wyo. — One hundred twenty years ago, the Big Horn Forest Reserve was signed into existence by President Grover Cleveland Feb. 22, 1897. The “Organic Act” was signed June 4, 1897.
This legislation outlined that reserves had to meet the criteria of forest protection, watershed protection and timber production. In 1905, the Forest Service was established with the same resource protection focus. By 1908, the forest’s name had been officially changed to “Bighorn.”
Read the full story from The Sheridan Press.