AUBURN, Calif. — Fall is quickly coming to California, and campgrounds across the state are celebrating the occasion with everything from music festivals to Oktoberfest and Halloween themed events.
“Every year, campground operators come up with more ideas to keep people coming back during the shoulder season,” said Debbie Sipe, executive director of the California Association of RV Parks and Campgrounds, which hosts Camp-California.com, the travel planning website.
Many parks also continue to offer plenty of activities on-site, from arts and crafts classes to rock climbing walls to horseback riding and water-based recreation activities.
Here is a sampling of activities and entertainment taking place at several campgrounds across California in the coming weeks:
- Campland on the Bay in San Diego: This campground, which borders Mission Bay, has numerous scheduled activities throughout the fall, including games of capture the flag, dodgeball and pickleball. The park also has arts and crafts classes, tie dye T-shirt classes, kayaking classes and adult dart tournaments. Various types of watercraft are also available for rent, including catamarans, jet skis, aqua cycles, peddle boats and kayaks. RVs can also be rented and set up on site in advance of your arrival. Tent camping sites are also available.
- Flying Flags RV Resort in Buellton: This park offers RV and tent sites as well as furnished safari tents and vintage RV rentals, including Airstreams and Canned Hams, from the 1940s through the 1970s. Fall weekend activities include arts and crafts and scavenger hunts for the kids, while Yoga classes are offered for the adults. The resort also has a swimming pool and splash park and on-site restaurant with live entertainment on Saturday nights. Pumpkin carving will take place the weekend before Halloween with trick or treating at the park on Halloween itself.
- Frandy Park in Kernville: From Sept. 21 – 24 this campground will host the Kern River Rock N Blues Festival with live bands Friday and Saturday. On Oct. 28-29 this park will serve as a base camp for people who would like to attend the Kernville Fall Festival, which is held in Kernville. The festival features a costume contest, a pumpkin patch, Old West gunfights, vendors and games.
- Lake Minden RV Resort in Nicolaus: This 212-site Sacramento Valley park will celebrate Oktoberfest the weekend of Oct. 13-15 with a German inspired potluck Friday night, a pretzel bar and Bavarian inspired arts and crafts. The weekend of Oct. 20-22 will include fall and Halloween themed crafts and decorations, a ghost and goblin scavenger hunt, a pot luck dinner and an ice cream social. The weekend of Oct. 27-29 will feature a Halloween themed campsite decorating competition, trick or treating and a scary movie marathon. This park has RV sites as well as rental accommodations.
- Lake of the Springs RV Resort in Oregon House: Fall activities at this 556-site campground include the park’s annual Fall Line Dance Festival Oct. 16 – 21. The park will also celebrate Halloween on Oct. 28 with a fishing derby, a pumpkin carving contest and a campsite decorating contest. There will also be trick or treating, a haunted house as well as a family dance and costume contest. The campground is located on 950 acres and includes a private 120-acre lake, RV and tent sites and rental accommodations.
- Oakzanita Springs RV Resort in Descanso: This 118-site campground is located at the 4,000-foot elevation and includes RV and tent sites as well as rental accommodations. Its fall activities coincide with apple harvest time in the neighboring San Diego County mountain town of Julian, and include an Oktoberfest celebration on Oct. 7 with beer tasting. Fall themed craft activities are also provided for children.
- Newport Dunes Waterfront Resort & Marina in Newport Beach: This resort also offers bicycle, golf cart, kayak and sailboat rentals in addition to guided kayak nature tours and kayak and sailboat lessons. Resort accommodations include 24 park model cottages and 382 RV sites as well as a full-service restaurant, the Back Bay Bistro, which offers breakfast, lunch, dinner and Sunday brunch with menu options ranging from local seafood to meat dishes.
- Palm Springs Oasis RV Resort in Cathedral City: Fall activities at this 135-site park include an Oktoberfest celebration Oct. 14 with brats and kraut by the pool and music in the recreation lodge. A Halloween weekend is set for Oct. 27 with campsite decorating and Halloween themed movies Friday and Saturday night.
- Pio Pico RV Resort & Campground in Jamul: An Oktoberfest weekend is set for Oct. 13 – 15 with brats, beer, dancing, games and an alpine photo booth. A Halloween themed weekend is set for Oct. 28-30 with pumpkin carving, a costume party and photo booth, trick or treating and Halloween themed movies and crafts. This park has 532 RV and tent sites as well as cabin rentals.
- Rancho Oso RV Resort in the mountains between Santa Barbara and Solvang: Guests at this park can watch stock dogs herding sheep and cattle every Saturday from 11 a.m. to noon. The park also offers a bucking bull demo with “baby” bulls that are being prepared for future work in rodeos. On Oct. 28, the resort will have pumpkin painting and trick or treating throughout the park. The resort’s accommodations include five rental cabins, plus several covered wagons, which are arranged in a circle around a campfire pit.
- Russian River RV Campground in Cloverdale: This park’s fall activities include a Halloween themed RV and tent decorating contest on Oct. 28 with prizes for the best decorations. The park has 125 RV and tent sites as well as rental accommodations.
- San Benito RV & Camping Resort in Paicines: This 596-site park is planning Halloween themed activities from Oct. 27-31 including a haunted trail walk on Saturday night, pumpkin carving on Sunday, a Monster Mash dance on Monday night and trick or treating on Tuesday night.
- San Diego Metro KOA in Chula Vista: This campground, which features RV and tent sites, rental accommodations, and an onsite restaurant, is planning three consecutive Halloween themed weekends, Oct. 6-8, 13-15 and 20-22. Activities include pumpkin carving, family games, costume parades, trick or treating, and rock wall climbing.
- Smithwoods RV Park in Felton: This park plans to host a Halloween spaghetti dinner with Halloween related activities and a spaghetti dinner on the Saturday before Halloween.
- Soledad Canyon RV & Camping Resort in Acton: This 854-site park, which includes RV and tent sites as well as rental accommodations, is planning a Halloween themed weekend Oct. 27-29 with pumpkin carving, a dance, trick or treating and a haunted hayride.
- Sorensen’s Resort in Hope Valley (near Lake Tahoe): This High Sierra resort, which is open year-round, offers RV sites as well as luxurious cabin rentals and a gourmet cafe. The RV sites are generally available from mid-April through Oct. 1. However, the rental accommodations are available year-round. This resort is an ideal base camp for the Alpine Aspen Festival, which takes place Oct. 7-8. The festival features music and special events, dutch oven cooking and fly fishing lessons, horseback riding, as well as history and nature walks. Guests at Sorensen’s Resort receive complimentary hot cocoa, tea and coffee throughout the day. Cafe specialties include house made quiche, classic beef Burgundy stew, seasonal fish, New York steak, garden fresh salads and house made desserts.
- Thousand Trails Las Vegas RV Resort in Las Vegas: This 205-site park will have a Halloween themed RV decorating contest with prizes on Oct. 31. The park includes RV sites and rental accommodations.
- Ventura Ranch KOA in Santa Paula: This campground, which features RV and tent sites as well as furnished cabins, tipis and safari tents, has a variety of onsite activities, including nighttime Bigfoot adventure walks, zipline tours, a jumping pillow and a rock climbing wall.
- Wilderness Lakes RV Resort in Menifee: This 523-site park is planning to celebrate Oktoberfest Oct. 7 with free German beer tasting and root beer for the kids. A bratwurst dinner and pretzels will be offered for sale. The park includes RV and tent sites and rental accommodations.
- Yosemite Lakes RV Resort in Groveland: This 134-site park will have pre-Halloween crafts on the weekend of Oct. 27-29. The campground has RV and tent sites as well as rental accommodations.
For more information on campgrounds, RV parks and resorts in California, visit www.Camp-California.com.
Source: The California Association of RV Parks & Campgrounds press release