MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. — Families are invited to bring their appetites to the fourth annual Grillers Cup Sept. 29 and 30 at Lakewood Camping Resort.
All proceeds from the cook-off, which is sanctioned by the South Carolina Barbeque Association (SCBA), will once again benefit local nonprofit Backpack Buddies of Horry County.
The two-day event includes:
- A barbecue wing tasting competition. More than 30 cooks from the Carolinas will face off and have their recipes judged by local celebrities at 4:30 p.m. Sept. 29. The event is then open to the public at 5 p.m. for tastings.
- A live pork butt cooking competition. The participating cooks will be put to the test at 10 a.m. Sept. 30 for the judging portion of the event. The event opens to the public at 11 a.m. for tastings.
- An awards ceremony on Sept. 30 at 2:30 p.m. at the band stage. The ceremony will recognize all winners and will include a presentation of funds to Backpack Buddies.
- Live music and entertainment throughout the weekend’s events.
- A silent auction full of fun prizes, which will be set up for participation throughout the weekend’s events.
Entry to the event is free and open to the public. Tasting tickets are $1 and will be available to purchase onsite.
“The Grillers Cup is one of our favorite ways to bring our community together for fun, fellowship and philanthropy,” said Claude McSwain, director of Lakewood special events and chairman of the Grillers Cup. “Event goers will be able to enjoy some of the best barbecue around, as well as help those in their community.
“We’re very proud to say that every single dollar earned will go directly to Backpack Buddies to make sure that Horry County kids are not going to school hungry or without the proper clothing, shoes or school supplies,” he added.
Backpack Buddies of Horry County is a 100 percent volunteer-based organization that has been serving children and families in the community for more than 25 years. The organization works to arm students with the tools needed to learn and be better able to finish school for a bright future, the release explained.
Major sponsors for the Griller’s Cup include US Foods, Disney World, WPDE ABC 15 and Lakewood Camping Resort.
For more information about the event or to donate to Backpack Buddies, contact Claude McSwain with Lakewood Camping Resort at 843.447.7383.
SOURCE: Lakewood Camping Resort press release