INDIANAPOLIS — People interested in how Indiana’s state forests operate can share their views at a series of open houses starting this month.
Throughout the year, open houses will be held at the following state forests (SF) and state recreation areas (SRA): Clark SF and Deam SRA; Ferdinand SF; Greene-Sullivan SF; Harrison-Crawford SF; Jackson-Washington SF and Starve Hollow SRA; Martin SF; Morgan-Monroe SF and Yellowwood SF; Owen-Putnam SF; Pike SF; Salamonie River SF, Frances Slocum SF and Selmier SF.
At each event, the DNR Division of Forestry will provide information about recreation, major projects, forest resource management, and planning. Attendees can talk with DNR personnel or, if they prefer, submit written comments. Some open houses will include a facilities tour, guided hike, or interpretive program.
“These open houses provide Hoosiers with a chance to receive first-hand information about how state forests provide diverse wildlife habitat, forest products and recreational opportunities,” said State Forester John Seifert. “They also allow us to receive valuable feedback from our neighbors and users about state forest management. I encourage everyone who has an interest to participate.”
Events and open houses are (all times are Eastern):
- Morgan-Monroe SF and Yellowwood SF, April 22, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., at the Yellowwood property office. The office is 7 miles southwest of Nashville, off State Road 46. Forester-led hikes will start at 10:30 a.m. and at 12:30 p.m. For more information, call 812.988.7845.
- Jackson-Washington SF/Starve Hollow SRA, May 16, 2 to 5 p.m., at the Starve Hollow Forest Education Center. The center is off State Road 235, about 2 miles southeast of Vallonia, A forester-led hike starts at 4 p.m. For more information, call 812.358.3464.
- Owen-Putnam SF, Wednesday, May 17 from 3 to 7 p.m. at the property office. The office is 5 miles west of Spencer and less than 1 mile north of State Road 46. For more information, call 812.829-2462.
- Greene-Sullivan SF, Thursday, June 29 from 2 to 6 p.m., at the property office. The office is on State Road 159, about 1.5 miles south of Dugger. For more information, call 812.648.2810.
- Selmier SF will have a booth at the Jennings County Fair, July 3 to 8. The fair is on State Road 3, about 3.5 mile north of North Vernon. Call the property at 812.346.2286 to find out dates and times the booth will be manned.
- Martin SF will have a booth at the Martin County Fair, July 14 to 18. The fairground is on U.S. 50, about 2 miles east of Loogootee. Call the property at 812.247.3491 to find out dates and times the booth will be manned.
- Clark SF/Deam Lake SRA, Sept. 14 from 3 to 6 p.m., at the Deam Lake Forest Education Center. The center is off State Road 60, about 5 miles east of Borden. An interpretive nature hike will be available. For more information, call 812.246.5421.
- Harrison-Crawford SF, Tuesday, Sept. 26 from 3 to 7 p.m. at the property office. The office is off State Road 462, just past the gatehouse for O’Bannon Woods State Park. For more information, call 812.738.7694.
- Ferdinand SF, Thursday, Sept. 28 from 3 to 6 p.m. at the property office. The office is off State Road 264, about 4 miles northeast of Ferdinand. For more information, call 812.367.1524.
- Salamonie River SF and Frances Slocum SF, Wednesday, Oct. 25, 3-6 p.m. at the Salamonie River SF office. The office is off State Road 524, about 6 miles east of Wabash. For more information, call 260.468.2125.
Property staff is also available during normal business hours. For more information, visit dnr.IN.gov/forestry/3631.htm.
SOURCE: Indiana State Forests press release